Update

So, the technical term for what the baby has is multicystic displastic kidney. His left kidney has cysts in it, and it doesn't look like it is going to function. The rights kidney looks good. Todd and I have to go to Tucson next week for genetic counseling to see if this is hereditary. Although no one in my family has kidney issues, Todd has some questionable issues on his. So, we'll see.


How am I doing with all of this? I am okay with the fact that my baby will only have one kidney. I can handle that, but I am just so worried and getting worked up about the other kidney. As long as it stays in good shape, the baby will be okay, but if the other kidney gets cysts...that is a fatal condition.

I am so greatful that he only has this condition in one kidney, but I can't help worrying about the "what ifs". It is so scary to think about.

Here is a picture I recieved this last week at my ultrasound. It is proof that we are having a boy.

1 comments:

Becky McArthur said...

Alisa I'm sorry to hear that you guys are going through that. Gracie our oldest has that same thing. They found out her right kidney was not functioning when I was about 20 weeks along. My doctor told me that in order to make a perfect baby, you have to have a million things go 100% right. If there is one thing that goes wrong you want it to be something like this. People live with only one kidney all the time. It's more common than you think. Gracie is 4 now and completely normal. I hope this makes you feel a little better. Take care!

Post a Comment